Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bird Signs


I've never learned much about the ancient technique of prophesy via bird-watching, but I've always liked the idea of it. So I was pretty excited when, during a morning run around Greenlake I saw two eagles. I'm not sure I've ever seen even one before. They were pretty awesome, huge and fierce and surrounded by crows. One flew, perched briefly, and then headed out across the lake with his retinue. The other was absolutely still at the top of a tall pine tree, where he'd apparently been for a long time because someone walking the other way told me to look out for him. Anyway, I think this must be good luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Certainly it's good luck!

After Tennyson:


She clasps the crag with crooked hands;
Close to the sun in lonely lands,
Ringed with the azure world, she stands.

The wrinkled sea beneath her crawls;
She watches from her mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt she falls.

Anonymous said...

Remember the Birdbrains, Finchly and Flutter? They've obviously returned in this powerful new guise to signal good luck on your exams! So lay in a supply of millet and have fun writing and writing.

xo
Cancrizans