Monday, December 12, 2005

Arnold's Lack of Pity

The whole long and public process of appeals and requests for clemency in the Stanley Tookie Williams case almost makes his execution (scheduled for midnight tonight since Arnold has deemed him unrepentent) into a public hanging. I have no real opinion about Williams's guilt and/or redemption, but the thought that we still have the death penalty shocks me anew each time I hear a news report about this case. It seems, for want of a better word . . . barbaric--and terrifying in its implications. How could we still do this?

1 comment:

Megan Savage said...

I felt the same way. It made me really sad this morning. The case of the Australian boy executed in, was it Singapore, for heroin smuggling struck me similarly. It seems so odd for someone to be alive one minute and dead the next, for the world to know and for no one to prevent it. Hmmph.