Sunday, December 11, 2005

Bad Apple

I've always thought that Apple was a good, consumer-friendly company, but now I'm not so sure. At the same time last month, the CD drive on my computer and my Ipod both broke, so I've spent a lot of time waiting around at Apple store "Genius Bars." Right now my computer is ok except for the CD drive and the fact that the hard drive might break at any time too, but I learned that the warranty is totally voided because there is a tiny dent in the laptop's titanium casing. And the way each "Genius" has dealt with my computer makes it seem like Apple is trying hard to void as many warranties as possible. I guess that's reasonable, but it really dampens the feeling of good customer support.

My Ipod, on the other hand, is dead, dead, dead, and the warranty has expired. What surprised me, though, is that the "Genius" told me that Ipod hard drives are known to only last for a year or two! I mean, no one buys an Ipod thinking it's such a short-term thing, do they? A temporary Ipod seems like a very different kind of purchase from one that will last until new technology becomes prohibitively cooler, which is certainly what I thought was the deal. I was definitely not the only frustrated person in the Apple store, and I just can't believe it's good for business to dish out so much disappointment. But is there any silver lining here for my poor machines?

On another botanical note, I am, according to OK Cupid, the Wild Rose, a random brutal love dreamer. Huh? I'm not brutal! But I'm not gentle either, really, and that's the other choice. Anyway, it's a good time but it's no Myers Briggs.

1 comment:

Zanni said...

I miss you!