Thursday, June 16, 2005

I Can't Stop

Great moments from student poetry reading responses:

"I recall trying to spell "eland" in my head as she read her piece, "E-L-I-N-D?" or "E-L-A-N-D?" I was sitting next to writers, and I couldn't even spell."

"She [Alison Benis] certainly is not one to be parsimonious about using imagery."

"Andrew Winer really stole the show in my opinion. Though I believe he used the words "F$%K" AND F$5KERS" approximately 5 times. Juxtaposed to those $50 words that he couldn't even pronounce in his piece, the profanity seemed to stick out more. For the better? Maybe. For the worse? Probably not. I know this for certain. I am never fishing with James McMichael. I am a Coffeepot pimp."

"At the poetry journal launch reading in the UCI bookstore the first poet Diane read a poem that had a child's imagination with animals having tea and so forth. She made jokes about lesbianism at first and then she began to speak about it in a much more political way with a different voice." [This was about a short story. Animals having tea? What?.]

"Zach the final poet could probably be described as the urban street poet type who had a very distinctive style and whose words seemed to have a many levels of meaning. Everyone seemed to be stressed out about his lateness, but I was happy for the time to grab a cookie."

And from my math genius student, a paper entitled "Donald Justice Knows Fourier Synthesis." It concludes, "Men at Forty" is a short poem. But these "men at forty" were able to make their way around a wide emotional, spatial and temporal map. I would defintiely say Fourier played a part in that." If D.J. were still alive I would send him a letter about this.

Writing 30. Such a fine line between brilliance and insanity.

1 comment:

Zanni said...

Oh my God, I miss you! Are you there yet? BLOG TONS! I want to hear everything about China. Oh, lemme know if you can get cheap digital cameras there too. Then we can take dorky pics of each other with like, Robert Hass in the background or something.

Z