Wednesday, June 22, 2005

China

I am writing this from an internet cafe in Lijiang, a town in the Chinese mountains near Tibet. When I get back to my own computer, I will post a picture of my family in front of a very sad, soaking wet yak who was standing in a river wearing a humiliating headdress.

So far, the trip has been very touristy, but still amazing. I can count to ten in Chinese, a completely useless skill, and my ni hao is getting better.

China doesn't seem to like blogs, so I'm not sure this will work. I was surprised to be able to get to this posting screen, because I haven't been able to see this blog or any others so far. Also, the whole interface is in Chinese, so I am just trying to remember what was where.

More soon!

4 comments:

Megan Savage said...

Learn how to say eggplant. It's a fun word. And yes, ok, about the only word I know in Chinese. Almost. But, yay, you made it!

Keep Your Fork, There's Pie said...

I don't know if the actual photograph can beat that description. Poor yak.

Zanni said...

HenHen misses you! Z

Anonymous said...

Yes-- why do people put humiliating headdresses on possibly fashion-savvy animals that simply lack the ability to move their limbs in such a way, or thumbs to remove them? In the city where I live, we have a camel. Just one, despite the region's reputation. The camel spends most of its time at the mall, or trotting around town. It also puts in an appearance at any notable social event, such as film festivals, concerts etc. In fact, the surest way to tell if an event is worth attending is to find out if the camel is there (actual conversation from last summer: Was the camel at the movie? No-- they used a film projector). In anycase, I sort of feel sad for the camel whenever I see him or her clomping around town in all his or her finery. All dressed up, and, well, still shuttling between the mall and the cultural palace. Sarah-- I'm wicked pleased that you have a blog.