Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Star-struck?

Today I discovered that one of my students is the son of a famous intellectual. It came up in a weird way: in a report on a reading he attended, my student mentioned that the author had cited but misrepresented the famous intellectual's most famous work. Since it's rare for any of my students to be aware of the work of any famous intellectuals, let alone able to evaluate representations of it, this stuck out to me as interesting. Then my eye jumped to the last name at the top of the paper which, I suddenly realized, was the same as that of the famous intellectual. I thought . . . hmmm. So I asked the student about it in his conference today and he said, sheepishly and cutely, "he's my dad." I'm not sure how to feel about it. I've never taught the progeny of famous intellectuals before.

(I will tell you who it is, but obviously I'm not going to make it google-able.)

1 comment:

Emily G said...

rhymes with...?