Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday in the Books

Well, I avoided yesterday's problem by going to the library. I'm in my carrel right now. I love the library when it is squirrel-free.

I was very productive. Unfortunately, almost all for teaching. I'm still making some course materials for this quarter, but at least I'm totally set through the end of next week and mostly set for about a month after that. Being so ahead is a totally new experience for me and I think it might take some time for my anxiety to really be assuaged, which is the point--for me to believe that I am, indeed, ready for my classes so that I can concentrate on other work.

I decided that my spring class, which is my first upper-level course ever, is going to be on "Literature and Autobiography." That way, it will help me with my other work. I'm alternately excited and terrified as I think about it.

I'm working my way, right now, through a book of poets' essays about poetry. I was looking forward to this, but it's actually kind of hard going. A lot of manifestos. A lot of dense language. And a lot of tiny variation on similar points, which are kind of laborious to figure out how to distinguish.

Now I'm off to the gym. It's cold and dark.

No comments: