Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Nerd Alert

I sent this to my Wordsworth and Coleridge / Gift and Sacrifice class tonight with a response paper about Wordsworth's Prelude. You will have to read the Prelude, which you should do anyway, to get the full extent of the humor. Anyway, I amuse myself, so here you go.

Not uselessly employed
Response here I have made, and stated how
The Prelude might be read, nor have I failed
To touch on how the poet's friend, the other
Poet, whom we have read and not without
Delight, might be addressed within the work,
Nor have excluded mention of the Gift,
And in the selfsame vein the Sacrifice
Have likewise I not shunned, nor will it seem,
To thee, dear Friends, that I in vain have read
And made response and summarized, as well
As fond and feeble tongue allows, the poem
Which you I need not dread neglected not
To read this one day that Seattle was
A visible scene on which the sun was shining.

2 comments:

Megan Savage said...

I love that you posted this. I recently had occasion to be embarassed at my own nerdliness when I referred to this poem as "The Prel-ude," as my Romantic Poets professor in college insisted it was pronounced, rather than the "Pre-lude." He also insisted on "Don Joo-an," but I have fewer reasons to refer to that poem.

Anonymous said...

For you us the bargain amuse into, thanks.