Sunday, February 18, 2007

A creepy sense of violation, part 2

First, a couple of disclaimers:

1. Mom, I did put up the curtains.

2. I ALWAYS lock my car. In this I follow my father's philosophy, which is that there's never a decision to be made about locking the car, you just always do it. And I always check; it's a very ingrained habit. I can think of two times total in the past few years that I've forgotten.

Well, one of them was last night. When I went out to the car today where it's parked right off the alley my apartment faces, about ten feet from my door, the glove compartment was open and the stuff was strewn around, all the little change holders were open, everything had been sifted through. Luckily, there was nothing valuable in the car, and for some reason the thief left behind several perfectly good used coffee cups.

Still . . . like last time, this is creepy because there's no way to tell if it's a weird coincidence or if someone is regularly patrolling the alley trying doors and windows. Whoever it was didn't do any of myriad things they could have done just to screw with me, like leaving the dome light on or taking the registration, which makes me think it's someone who means business, not drunk college kids.

I'm not really scared, more just icked out. But Mom, don't worry--yes, I am planning to move.

1 comment:

Megan Savage said...

yeesh! you take care, there.