Monday, December 11, 2006

Report from Bed Central

I will say one thing for laptops: they have revolutionized the pursuit of coziness. Right now I am sitting in my bed listening to the rain, drinking mint tea, and writing about Wordsworth's struggles with distraction. I don't know if life is good or not, but I think maybe it is.

I am trying to work my paper around to including my favorite scene in The Prelude, which I like to call "Getting Drunk for Milton." In college, one of Wordsworth's Cambridge buddies gets assigned Milton's old room; sitting around in it, the young poet is inspired to start drinking toasts to its previous occupant, and, well . . . I guess you could say, based on the results, that he must not have been working on his MFA for very long at that point.

Wordsworth isn't funny very often, and, as with people like that generally, it's especially endearing when he is.

No comments: