Friday, October 20, 2006

I'm a little

embarassed about the last post, maybe just by association with the addled state in which I wrote it. Turns out if you stay at the pub night long enough, people start handing you shots.

This morning I woke up a little before five, drank three glasses of water, took some advil and prepared to hit the hay for another couple of hours before getting up to tutor. But this morning, unusually, I wasn't sleepy, so I lay in bed listening to my ipod (Poddy)for a couple of hours. It was very, very pleasant. I couldn't believe how slowly the time was going, how much of this pleasantness I was being allowed. Finally, around seven, I became conscious that my muscles were relaxing. I opened my eyes at 7:29 and realized I'd been asleep. Then my alarm went off at 7:30 and I slept some more while the radio reported the thrilling fact that underwater welding* equipment has to heat up to 10,000 degrees. It cuts through SOLID STEEL. UNDERWATER. Isn't that amazing?

Anyway, there was no real point to that story, except that it's rare and kind of magical to get the defamiliarization that happens with late-night wakefulness without it feeling like miserable insomnia. And magical experiences are good to share.

*(Didn't your father do this, EQ?)

1 comment:

Megan Savage said...

Weird, I was just about to post saying my father had done this, when I read the last line. You have a fucking amazing memory, stove. -I- had forgotten my father'd done this until I read this. Sheesh. Anyway all of this sounds lovely and I have a lot to say to you, having had as many drinks as -I- have had here tonight.