Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Don't Touch That Dial!

I've decided I love that expression, which I heard on the radio this morning. It's so cheerful in the face of the fact that the speaker has no actual ability to command the listener's attention, and instead has to win it over and over again, moment to moment.

Seattle has some amazing little sparrows: you throw them a crumb, and they will fly up and catch it in midair. They don't always get it, but they do enough of the time to make the sport worth watching--much like staying on for 8 seconds in bullriding, now that I think of it.

In a resurgence of old habits, I sent the first party invite to my new department listserv today; my landlords are having a housewarming, and I promised to try to drum up some business. I wrote that people should come even if we haven't met yet--I felt like I had to say that, because I really haven't met all that many people so far, but it does mark an absurd new frontier in party hosting. I mean, I've met plenty of people at parties at my house, but I think they were always brought by people I knew. But onward and upward with the adventuring spirit... that's my motto.

I'm at the gym, procrastinating on the actual exercise, which is why this entry keeps growing. I have been lazy, lazy, lazy over the past few days, but now I am getting back on the horse. I will be a new healthy, well-adjusted stove. Oh yes. I will.

1 comment:

Zanni said...

If you don't watch out and you get too good at throwing parties, you'll end up being an event coordinator just like me!