Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Why did no one tell me about the freakish niceness?

Example of the day: My flight was delayed and I arrived at the airport too late to take the bus route I'd looked up online. Not knowing how to find out about the times and places to transfer (it's a weird system; you often have to walk a block or two downtown, and I missed a bus on the way to the airport while trying to locate the stop) I picked up one of the random courtesy phones that are in airports. I reached a woman who had no idea what the bus schedules were, but she sat there, with me on the phone, and looked them up online for me. She wasn't the web-savviest and it took her a long time, and it clearly wasn't exactly in her job description, but she eventually found everything I needed to know. And then she made me promise to get off as close to my house as possible because she watches the news and wanted to be able to sleep that night not worried about my safety.

It was like I randomly called someone I didn't know at work and instead of getting me off the phone as quickly as possible (as a northeasterner would do) she helped me simply because I needed help. Freakish niceness.

Also, it's finally raining in Seattle. Shedding light rain is a go!

(Shedding light rain is what my going-away present jacket claims to do and in fact does do very well so far.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That really is unusual. Keep sending reports from the strange, kind lands up North.

Not too much to report from Irvine, where the most common thought is: "If I change lanes, that person might die. On the other hand, if I don't change lanes, I won't even be going the speed limit."