Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Menu

Last night, after I had painted my kitchen cupboards but before they were dry, I had my first meal in my new apartment: veggies we bought for snacking at the rodeo but didn't eat because we were snacking on big hunks of meat instead at our favorite local establishment, The Hut, put in my car as a nice surprise from HenHen and Nicebelt (thanks, guys), with melted string cheese (from the same source) on top, cooked in the microwave on a paper towel and eaten with chopsticks leftover from the previous night's takeout. Today I painted my bathroom and then unpacked my dishes and had Chard of Many Colors cooked on the stove (I think walking into a Trader Joe's is one of the world's most comforting feelings--all those delicious familiar products). So things are coming along. Tomorrow I have to meet with the English graduate advisor and somehow deal with the fact that the department isn't offering a single course I want to take, and the ones that seem most appealing are the least relevant to my so-called period (any advice, anyone?).

All the English grad students are going out tomorrow night (apparently they do every Thursday). I am inordinately excited to finally meet these shadowy figures. My goal is to barrel through the awkward phase of new friendships as quickly as possible and be into the fun phase by Oct. 1.

I want to write a long post about the Round-Up (motto: "Let 'Er Buck!"), and with further updates from Seattle, but I've been around this blogging thing long enough to know I shouldn't make any promises.

No comments: