Monday, November 28, 2005

My nose...

no longer likes the grindstone.

It is a very weird experience to try to help a high school ESL student write college essays while writing PhD and fellowship essays yourself. It really puts things in perspective. Thinking about possible phrasings for him, I realized how convoluted my own application-essay prose can get. I have to give myself a clause limit. It's also interesting to see the whole selling-yourself process through the eyes of someone to whom it's alien. For instance:

Student (discussing after-college plans, for one of the essays): Or I might go back to China and work for my father's company, help him make it more bigger, more famous.

Me: Well, would it really be famous? What does your father's company make, anyway?

Student: Aluminum!

And also:

Student: Okay, I wrote that I want to spend more time with my family, not just with my business. What next?

Me: Well, how about say why you want to spend time with your family?

Student: I could say: Because my father didn't spend time with his family and it made me . . . (long pause) . . . so sad!

No comments: