Friday, July 15, 2005

Thank you, Sean!

The car horn mystery is at last solved. What happened is that the foam insulating the metal beeping mechanism wore down, so slight changes of temperature can set the thing off. Or something like that.

It happened again tonight. It was defeaning, but I didn't hear it until a nice Verano man came to my door in a little cart to tell me he'd been getting calls about it. Luckily, Sean from University Mobil had figured out the problem and told me what to do to stop it, so I was able to zip right over to the car and pull the horn fuse. Instant silence, then cheers.

Unfortunately, I can't just keep the fuse out all the time, because the geniuses at Mazda put the brake lights on the same fuse as the horn. So pulling the fuse is going to have to be part of my turning-off-the-car routine, and I'm going to have to reinsert it every time I want to drive. Rebuilding the steering wheel is apparently a big process and expensive.

I think I'm okay with this, but it's the first real weirdo quirk my car has aquired, and it does seem a worrisome sign of age. I mean, I know the elderly need attention, but Spacey, we love you! Do you really need everyone in Verano listening to you in order to feel noticed?

No comments: