Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Good things

Obviously, this here blog's magic, because since my last post TWO good things have happened:

1. Yesterday morning in the space of 10 minutes the enrollment in my next GRE class (for this coming Sunday) went from 0 students (and therefore canceled, like the others) to 4 students and a real thing! I've been trying to get this going for 6 months and it's very exciting to get to hold an actual class. Now for real I'm a small business owner!

2. I just got home to Seattle and found out that one of the poems I sent out recently got accepted by a great journal, and one I actually subscribe to, one I have been given gift subscriptions to by very beloved family friends! The envelope not only contained a handwritten letter from the editor, there was also a check for $200, which is by far the most I've ever been paid for a poem. Maybe the most ANYONE has ever been paid for a poem. That's not the best part, of course . . . I guess I'd say, little kiddishly, that the whole thing is the best part.

And now I'm here typing while Kitcat prowls around my legs, and even though I miss my New York family and friends a lot, it is nice to be home.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Wahoo!! Please do tell what journal—So I can buy it when it comes out.

Congratulations!

(ps--Is it the New Yorker? I can't think who else would pay that much. Well anyone would pay that much for a Stove poem, but alas not everybody does.)