Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How About Never?

I thought I should clarify that I have not been rejected by any journals or dates recently; I just thought the NYT headline was funny and needed exaggeration. Still, I have been remembering how, after the worst break-up of my life, I cried all night but knew that if I could just get myself to my classroom to teach, I would be all right. And it was true. Afterwards Zanni and I had Chinese food. Oddly, what was a really horrible experience has turned into a nice memory.

Now that I've taught for longer, being in front of a class doesn't necessarily give me that life-affirming adrenaline boost anymore, but it does still get me out of my head. Today after class I had a nice meeting with a student who always writes to me as "Professor Sarah" and signs his emails "Doctor [Name]." Which is kind of charming, although, as the one who is supposed to improve his rhetorical savvy, I feel a little guilty about just enjoying it without comment.

Also, my oral exams got slightly rescheduled; in response, one professor wrote, "The later the better. Ok for me." That made me think of this:

No comments: