Friday, February 06, 2009

Hmmm

This is strange, but seems true: Roman Jakobson says "When we ask whether /i/ or /u/ is darker, some of the subjects may respond that this question makes no sense to them, but hardly one will state that /i/ is the darker of the two." Well, of course not! That would be wrong.

And while we're on the topic of nonsensical visual correspondences, let me take this opportunity to remind you that

1=white
2=yellow
3=blue
4=green
5=peachish brown
6=red
7=purple
8=brown
9=orange

For some reason I often feel the need to assert this. I experience it so strongly!

Considering this further, I wonder if one of the reasons I've been sort of on low for the past few months is because I'm 30--blue being a sort of cool, oceanic, unpassionate color (and the 0 is clear, transparent). I wonder because when I think back to other times in my life, I get a visual picture based on my age at the time; and, now that I think of it, also the year. 2009 (yellow and orange) is prettier than 2008 (yellow and brown), and I think, actually, that I feel a little bit relieved about that.

I realize that this sounds insane but I'm telling you, I experience it strongly!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This could explain a lot! My decade is the color of a putrefying fruit. And no end in sight! But since when has this synesthesia been a factor in the Stovian mind?
And is our entire century to be based on yellow?
Many questions.....

xo Cancrizans

Leslie said...

Duh, of course u is darker than i. What idiot doesn't know that.

Though I tend to look at composite numbers like 2009 and see a single color--this year being magenta, though two is yellow and nine is a really dark purple (sorry seven). Zeros have no color but they kinda sparkle sometimes.