Saturday, November 29, 2008

Perfect Day

I have often said that the perfect day is one where you wake up and work hard and productively at your intellectual work all day, and then exercise in the late afternoon, and then get together with friends in the evening for food and conviviality. I think I would like it if my life were a series of these days, broken up occasionally by all-day hikes, travel, and the occasional orchestra rehearsal. In reality, though, I don't know why, but it hardly ever happens. But today I've been at a coffee shop since this morning working the whole time not on teaching or other short-term projects but on actual reading and writing for my exams. In a few minutes, I'm going to go to the gym, and then to dinner at the Ogre's house.

And lo, the miraculous has happened: I have finally had a thought about what I've been reading. More than one thought, even. I am very relieved. And interested! I wish I could stop reading for coverage and start writing about the poems I happen to have read today.

No comments: