Friday, April 27, 2007

Pithy

Next to one line of my poem: "This is the dynamite." Next to the next line: "This is the tender swaddling." Isn't that a nice way for my latest poetry-professor-hero to put it? I'd like all of my poems to contain both dynamite and tender swaddling. It's a side benefit of studying with poets that they say really pithy things about your work. My favorite, though it wasn't exactly a compliment, is still that my poems have an "I was raised by wolves" clarity. The point was that this quality is trying on the nerves. I mean, of course it's trying! What do you think it's like to live with it?!

(I was not really raised by wolves, though I was raised in a cave and therefore don't know anything about the 80s.)

1 comment:

Megan Savage said...

Man, those are nice things to be said about your poems. And deserved.