Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Spring comes to Seattle

You might like to know that right now we're in the middle of nautical twilight. Civil twilight ended about twenty minutes ago, and in about fifteen minutes astronomical twilight will begin. I like knowing these things. Here in Seattle, the sun sets 3 minutes and 26 seconds later every day (except for next weekend, when it will leap over a whole hour). Tonight sunset was at 6:03, and if I hadn't been in a good mood from a day of sun-warmed blossom-scented air, I might have cried. After two days of spring, I don't want to wake up and find it raining, but the rest of the week is supposed to be back to the old northwest ways.

Still, the lousy weather does make you appreciate a change in atmosphere. Unlike in Irvine, where everyone's blase about the weather and people aren't very quirky, on campus today the undergrads were sprawled everywhere with their guitars and their tightropes and their juggling. Before that I went for my new favorite outside run and ran kind of fast, plus I'm excited and optimistic about my papers. So obviously, between the weather, the sun, the exercise, the "energy" vitamin water, and the latte and friendliness at one of my local coffee shops, my mood has broken the glass ceiling. I'm sure it will return to the mailroom soon enough, but for now it's in the executive suite.

Or as I was about to type, the Executive Sweet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice . . . another aficionado of the 3 twilights