Monday, February 05, 2007

mondaymonday

Seattle is the land of four hours of sleep. Amazing that I just got back from the partiest city in the world (Irvine), and I'm more tired now than I was all weekend.

I'm enjoying a rare quiet moment at the tutoring center. I just had a good session, one where someone who came in because her teacher required it left feeling really helped. She was one of the kinds of students who is most fun to work with, someone whose thoughts are interesting and coherent but whose paper is a mess--so there's a lot of room for improvement, and also a lot of potential.

When I left my homeschool tutoring job this morning I thought, as I often do, that this might be my favorite job I've ever had. It is ridiculously easy, while still being stimulating and fun. Today, for instance, I decided as I drove over that I would have my student write an opinion piece (about the death penalty, I decided once I'd gotten there); while he wrote, I read Act II of Julius Caesar; then we talked about what he'd written, which led to a discussion of justice, the reasons we have law and punishment, and what it means about psychology and epistomology that we think shoplifting is totally lame; then we read, slowly but thoroughly, a couple pages of JC, with breaks for talking about how the characters are lying, mistaken, deluded, vain, etc.

One of the best things about today was that it wasn't pitch black yet at 5:00.

1 comment:

Zanni said...

We're turning the corner. Pretty soon it will be summer and we'll be basking in the sunlight of Wallowa County. We miss you here. A lot. I'm thinkin' of you.