Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Thanks

so much if you commented or called or emailed. I am okay--tired, but not too badly, because it snowed and Pilates was cancelled. Also, last night, as Caliban and I were lying in bed trying not to freak out, we had a realization that made us feel much safer. First of all, the whole story of what happened: I had accidentally left a window unlocked. When I heard a noise coming from it at around 2:30 in the morning, I was in my bathroom somewhat dreamily doing a crossword puzzle (an unusually tough Thursday, though I've since conquered it). I heard the noise and came out, saying something like "Hey, what's going on"? and then heard someone run away and discovered the window was about 8 inches open. That all happened very quickly. Anyway, as Caliban and I were lying in bed, we started thinking about how only a person shaped like a boa constrictor would have been able to fit through that window--it's little to begin with, and the microwave covers half of it. Then we remembered that my old Ipod had been lying on top of the microwave--so probably the thief was planning to reach in and try to get it, not to come in himself (had he succeeded, he would have discovered that all Old Poddy can do is make a sad whirring noise and then turn off in defeat, but anyway). It's still creepy as hell that someone was in my little alley looking in my window in a predatory spirit, but the kind of burglar who wants to make a surgical strike is the kind of burglar I want in my neighborhood, if I have to have one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And Me...I'm frequently awake at unseemly hours!

You amaze me though...you are so very much braver than me. Tiny Anteaters aren't as supportive as Caliban.