Sunday, December 03, 2006

die BierStube

Yesterday a few of us had planned to hang out and do "something cultural followed by something alcholic." I think this is a terrific formula, especially when the "something cultural" turns out to be talking about going to a Humphrey Bogart movie and then deciding to go straight to the bar instead. We all agreed we are getting enough solitary absorbtion of culture through our massive amounts of reading.

Once this plan was in place, the day suddenly fit my criteria for a perfect day. As I blogged about over the summer, a perfect day is one in which you work really hard and are productive, then exercise hard, and then go out drinking. The fact that you know you are going to have fun later motivates all the earlier efforts. Someday I would like to find a group of friends and see how long we could keep this up for. Harrison and Kizzle and I did it over the summer for about 5 days, and then people started getting sick. But I have hopes.

Anyway, we decided to do our drinking at die BierStube (which is so fun to say). I got there a bit late (because I am me) and, surprise, instead of my three friends I saw a huge table full of people from the department. I waved, but, being all bundled up, the person I waved to didn't recognize me, so I scurried back deeper into the bar to find the people I was supposed to meet. They were way in the back, huddled against a dart board.

Me: Did you guys know that there are a bunch of people we know here?

L: We know people?

I explained who they are and where they were sitting.

J: I was going to go have a cigarette, but now I think I will just hide back here. [And she did.]

Of course, we did eventually go and talk to them, but it is always nice when one finds one is not alone in ridiculous shyness.

1 comment:

Zanni said...

I'm jealous of your new friends. Wah. Wah.