Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Bad Citizen

This is the first major election I've sat out since I turned 18; I'm mad at myself that I missed the registration deadline. I love to vote, even though I've been thoroughly conditioned to expect elections to lead to painful disappointment.

Remember the midterms in 2002? There was a contested election for Massachusetts governor and it looked like the Democratic woman had a chance against Mitt Romney--and then there was Congress. Our usual Tuesday Buffy group got together to watch the returns. Now I expect unremitting bad news, but then each new disappointment was freshly painful. We lost the Senate (remember Jim Jeffords and how we had it for a while?). Massachusetts not only chose to be led a Republican from Utah but also came dangerously close to abolishing the income tax. Massachusetts!

We were miserable. So we dragged our new sense of disenfranchisement to Friendly's and drowned our sorrows in a peanut butter ice cream pie.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, everybody vote!

No comments: