Monday, October 16, 2006

Ode to Gym

Today I was reminiscing about one of my favorite things in Irvine: running into people at the gym. I would never have predicted liking that; in high school, I used to sneak out of the house to go jogging under the cover of darkness because I was self-conscious about being seen by what my mom mercilessly mocked me by calling the "neighborhood toughs." But there was something great about going to the ARC (Anteater Recreation Center) and seeing eight or so friends and acquaintances, all sweating away, privately but together. It was best in the late afternoon or early evening before a big party--everyone getting healthy in preparation for getting unhealthy--and was perfect when a small group would be going out for Vietnamese noodles before the party. So everyone who's still there, enjoy that. Here the gym is nice, but I've yet to run into anyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that's just eerie. I go to the gym, run into my friend L., get all sweaty in preparation for later unhealth, then come home and read this post.