Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Good Morning!

I'll bet no one has read the last post yet, so I know I'm just telling this story to myself, but the paper is done (or as good as it's gonna get tonight, at least). 631 words, about 3 hours. Not a fantastic rate, but the thing is... I think inaccurately that I write fast because the time goes fast while I'm writing. Which is basically just as good, considering that my time is not money (shut up, Adam Smith).

We have to hand out copies of our papers, and I am so sure that I will be the only one who wrote a paper remotely like the one I wrote. There were several choices of texts, so probably no one else wrote on the poems, and if they did, they probably didn't do a close reading. Whatever--I kind of like being that girl who reads differently.

The thing is, this is a basic question but one that needs to be answered and often isn't, what is it we are trying to accomplish when we're writing and talking about these texts? In seminar today, what we seemed to be trying to accomplish was to demonstrate that we understood what Adam Smith was saying. But I'm pretty sure that's not the point.

Speaking of Adam Smith, I'm trying to write a poem about him.

Famous thinker, very ugly man. Plus, "In conversation 'he was scarcely ever known to start a topic himself,' and if he did succeed in falling in with the common dialogue of conversation, 'he was somewhat apt to convey his own ideas in the form of a lecture.'"

No comments: