Sunday, October 29, 2006

Events

On Friday night, I went to a really cool poetry reading put on by Wave Books. It was way up IN the Space Needle. How cool is that?

A tradition has been started of weekly Sunday brunches, which is nice. Today's was kind of awkward, though, and I felt like I was the only one in mild social agony as we sat around in a big circle punctuating long silences with discussions about how the union should do more to get people involved. Ugh. Also, the organizer seems to believe that you have to decide in advance whether the potluck will be sweet or savory, even though everyone knows that the whole point of brunch is to have both in the same meal.

I'm also a little worried, because when I planned to go away this weekend I forgot that we register for classes here by way of a primitive ritual that involves lining up outside the department office at 6 am. That is happening this Friday, and since I won't be there I offically will just have to take whatever's left over. I'm sorry to speak strongly here, but that is a fucking stupid system. But I can't believe that any prof would let him or herself be bound by it, so I'm just going to send some emails and hope for the best.

On Monday I'm getting an eye exam and new glasses. That's exciting, because my glasses have had only one leg ever since ... well, I'm not exactly sure what happened, but they were a casualty of the rodeo. As a concession to fashion, I have not been wearing them, except to drive, but now, finally, I will be able to see Seattle.

1 comment:

Zanni said...

God, the rodeo was so much better than life, wasn't it? You should get green glasses, I think. Because I think green glasses with brown eyes is really pretty. Light green, not dark green. Unsolicited advice, I know. Light green glasses would be really pretty.