Saturday, September 30, 2006

In Full Swing

Well, school is launched, and that means... homework! I just spent much of the day reading Adam Smith. Now I'm off to the gym to read a history of Reconstruction on the elliptical trainer. Way back when I was taking classes at Irvine, I discovered that the gym was the once place I could concentrate well enough to actually get my reading done. Of course, you can't read something dense that you need to take notes on, but history usually glues itself to the brain pretty securely on a casual reading. I have a response paper for that class due Tuesday, and I'm a little... well, not nervous, but I want to do it well. I mean, normally I eat ungraded response papers for breakfast, but the first paper in new school, when I haven't written anything academic in a year and a half...

So I'm staying in tonight, reading and making soup, but... don't worry, I have been fulfilling my social obligations. Another pub night, a return to the pub last night after a department reception, and then a house party with amazing tapas and awkward sitting on couches with all the lights on. All surprisingly fun (well, the awkward sitting at least held promise for the future).

I will not be attending, except maybe as a ghostly shadow-presence, the party being held tonight in my old apartment in Irvine. But I'm glad it's happening, and am hoping for a drunk dial or two.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you introduce them to having, say, 1/3rd of the lights on while sitting on the couch, you will be hailed as party innovatrix. You'd already solved all of Irvine's party problems (I don't have the heart to tell her), so clearly you were needed elsewhere to show them the way.