Wednesday, September 27, 2006

First Day!

I have been reduced to shopping for classes, and have so far determined that I am not going to take "Richardson and Fielding." Why? Because it was Boring. Dull. Not a spark flew anywhere. I am a hyper-critical class shopper, perhaps the one concrete result of my excessive education.

I just ran into one of the UCI transplants fresh from teaching his first class ever. He was anxious, and I felt qualified to reassure him, which was nice. It is weird to be around so many people teaching for the first time; I am coming in with them, or behind them in the program, but my first class feels like a really long time ago. It makes me feel old and gray, not in an entirely bad way.

Also, I think that was my first time running into someone here, which is a milestone of its own. When I was just in Boston, I was theorizing that there are two qualities that make a place feel like home, 1) an accumulation of memories associated with particular spots, and 2) the possibility of running into someone you know. (In Boston on this most recent trip, I felt I had 1) but not really 2) anymore. Also, I guess now that I think of it, knowing where to get things you need, like revolving sushi or fabric for your toga, would be a third continuum of homeiness.)

Anyway, progress, progress. Watch this space for further course reviews and the eventual cliffhanger ending where I am forced either to choose classes or to drop out of school and become an interior decorator.

No comments: