Saturday, August 26, 2006

Recommendations

I just wanted to share this totally creepezoid statement from Slate a few days ago: "The current film Little Miss Sunshine is a good example of how much we need to separate healthy families (ours) from diseased ones (those who sexualize kids). That film goes so far in its eagerness to pander to audiences as to imagine domestic bliss as the ability to be repulsed by and unite against sexy kids (beauty queens). Such hypocrisy plays to the uneasiness of audiences who, in real life, would find the lumpy little heroine of the film utterly disgusting, turning from her to feast their eyes on little vamps."

This last sentence, apparently utterly sincere, has been bugging me since I read it. I mean, what??? The lumpy little heroine was one of the most charming human beings I've ever encountered. Also, pretty much the whole film was terrific. I recommend it.

I do not recommend Global Warming Trivia as a party game, unless you want to see which of your friends will die of boredom first. A tip about trivia in general: if no one can answer any of the questions, the game will probably not be fun. On the other hand, Never Have I Ever is a good time and quite revealing.

Also a good time is the new Irvine Critical Mass bike ride. For Ride #1 a critical mass turned out to be two people, but I'm sure it will gather steam and become a true sensation.

2 comments:

Megan Savage said...

That is a really odd review. Plus, I think part of what was so interesting was that the "lumpy little girl" -was- sexualized, just in a more overt way than the other girls were. You know, thus laying bare the sexualization present in all those pageants. I mean, I thought that was kind of an obvious point. And that the family has to jump in and participate in that sexuality was really intriguing and complex, I thought, sort of proving the opposite of the reviewer's point. i.e. that the boundaries are blurred in the film.

Sarah said...

I should have contextualized--it actually wasn't a review but a piece about the JonBenet Ramsay case that just mentioned Little Miss Sunshine in passing. By a "scholar of pedophilia," which is part of what sketches me out so much.