Friday, July 14, 2006

Apocryphal Giant Sloth

I spent all day today writing the intro for an interview I conducted in a state of extreme grogginess the day after prom night.

Actually, the subject didn't like speaking off the cuff, so we redid the whole thing by email a few days later. Thankfully. I think it came out pretty well, actually. But I'm nervous about the intro. I'm afraid it will be deemed something that won't do at all, and then I'll be sad because I've grown fond of it in the hours we spent together. My favorite part (maybe): the poems approach their characters with "humor, fellow-feeling, and a rueful appreciation of the predicament of being a strange creature in a world of strangeness, whether as a human being or as an apocryphal giant sloth (“Fear not, dark familiar,” the poem consoles this Bigfoot of the Amazon: “you’re still the man”)."

This is the book:

No comments: