Monday, June 12, 2006

Kafka in the sun

Well, I spoke too soon about the Spaceship. There are some more hoops to jump through. For instance, I just opened my registration renewal notice from the DMV and discovered a fine for a mysterious offense on October 18, 2005. $100 for a Park/Toll Violation, whatever that is, in the city of Irvine. Now I've never skipped out on a toll and, as far as I know, Irvine has no restricted parking on any public streets. In any case, I've never gotten a ticket. So what did I do wrong?

Luckily, the citation includes a number under the heading "Code." Excellent! Except that I looked at the Vehicle Code, and NO ITEM WITH THAT NUMBER EXISTS! The closet thing--and I couldn't make this up--involves the improper transport of baled hay. So I am being fined for violating a non-existant law. Thank you, Irvine.

No comments: