Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Stupid or evil...

... are Scooter Libby's choices for explanations of why he did what he did. I've never run in to that particular dichotomy, but in my office job days I was constantly negotiating the boundary between lazy and incompetent, which is basically a minor-league version of the same thing. Did I not sent out those contracts because I couldn't get them done or because I was reading the entire run of some online comic? Was I actually unable to return that email or just staring at the wall? I never really broke through to the understanding that both sins came down to the same thing.

Today, though, I had office job nostalgia. I puttered around the Faultline office doing various important tasks, and when the phone rang I perkily said "Faultline!" when I picked up as if no time had passed since I did that every day. But really THREE YEARS have passed since I've answered an office phone. About the right interval, I guess. Most of the time I really do heart grad school.

Collier countdown: 21 hours! If you're in Irvine, you should come to her party.

No comments: