Monday, October 03, 2005

Special Election

So my question is, is voting for a Democrat in Orange County the same as voting for Nader in a presidential election, in the sense that it's a symbolic vote for the purposes of self-expression rather than to actually elect a candidate? In the special congressional election tomorrow, there's a moderate Republican who is socially liberal, pro-choice, etc, and the real race seems to be between her and her freaky-conservative Republican rival. She's targeting Democrats, which explains why I've gotten a shitload of mail from her. Following the Nader-logic, I feel I should vote for her (and then spend an hour wailing and tearing my hair about where I live), but I just don't know if I can pull the lever for a Republican. Her campaign did me a huge, misty picture of Jerusalem at sunset with the words "SHE'S ONE OF US" superimposed on it, but I'm not sure if that works in her favor. It's just a little weird.

In other news, tutoring, O ball and chain, is all I do anymore. I'm so over it, but these SAT types really know how to turn the thumbscrews.

No comments: