Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Talent Destination

Today I visited my old workplace, the one named after a major body of water or perhaps a seaboard. The ship of the magazine is preparing to sail for a new harbor and most of the crew will be left behind. Morale is very low. It makes me sad. I think of Shackleton, who left his crew on the freezing Elephant Island to spend a year living on penguins and seals while he sailed for help, and, well, the man in charge here is no Shackleton. Not only will no one be coming back for them, in order to receive their few month's supply of penguins and seals the crew has also had to sign a non-disparagement clause. They can't tell anyone how they and sanity were plowed over on the way to a "talent destination" in D.C. I am itching to disparage, but am not sure who is interested.

Before hitting the old offices, I helped set up a chemistry lab in a charter school in Dorchester. I love beakers, and volumetric flasks, and that back-to-school feeling. Excited about my poetry class now.

On the way to the T, I decided to blog this inane (but true!) thought: being single is no fun, but one advantage to it is that you stop taking your friends for granted and realize how wonderful they are. That's pretty nice.

2 comments:

Megan Savage said...

"being single is no fun, but one advantage to it is that you stop taking your friends for granted and realize how wonderful they are. That's pretty nice."

Amen sistah.

Keep Your Fork, There's Pie said...

Yes. Also, call me reactionary if you will, but I find that concentrating on your own self instead of half (or more) on somebody else is, in fact, fun.