Monday, September 12, 2005

Jury Duty

Jury selection is funny. No one wants to serve, but still no one seems to be able to resist falling all over everyone else trying to seem fair-minded, rational, and intelligent. The lawyers ask stupid, stupid questions, like "Do you have common sense?" My number was never called, but I had my escape clause ready since unlike EVERYONE ELSE WHO WAS ASKED, I don't believe that you can always definitively tell what someone is thinking from his or her actions. The more annoying of the lawyers kept asking that question, among others that seemed designed to help people make fools of themselves. Although we had been told no details of the case, she got several jurors to claim to understand that race had nothing to do with it. I was glad to leave the room, and have spent the afternoon praying never to run afoul of the law in the O.C.

No comments: